Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Home Again, Home Again Jiggity Jog

Thank you to my anonymous commenter, even though I have no idea who you are, it's nice to know someone misses us.

We are back in Texas, safe and sound. We left sunny California on Friday, August 8th. I was able to hold back the tears, but it was very sad to be leaving. The kids and I headed off to Phoenix, to pick up Vince from the airport, to drive back all together. I hit such a downpour somewhere in the California desert that cars and trucks were pulled over to the side of the road, the visibility was so bad. After getting through the rain, we quickly hit a wind/sand storm, that again reduced the visibility to practically nothing. So my wet minivan was quickly coated in sand. Kind of looked like a big cinnamon-sugar dusted donut hole. With a Toule on top.

Vince's flight landed about an hour before we hit Phoenix, so he was ready and waiting for us. It was a very happy reunion, after being apart for five weeks. We quickly stopped for dinner, so he could hug on the kids and we could get a bite to eat before our long, long all-nighter trip. Well, that was a mistake. A couple of hours back on the road and Annamaria started throwing up. Repeatedly. She ended up arriving back home in nothing but a diaper, and covered with a beach towel I had in the car. She had thrown up on everything else. Now, Sophia had some sort of stomach bug for a couple of days the week before, and it hit Francesca the Wednesday night before we left, so I'm still not sure if it was a stomach bug or food poisoning. I'm thinking a combination of a little bit of both, because I was pretty miserable on the drive home too. Harrison got sick the night we got home. At least we weren't stuck in the car anymore. And I woke up Monday morning at 3am to the sound of Vince retching. Nice. He was so miserable he ended up calling in sick that day, something he never does. But now we are all back to healthy. Thankfully.

The bags have been unpacked, the laundry has been caught up on, the refrigerator has been cleaned out and restocked, and I'm slowly getting the house back to it's normal state. When we returned there was a very fine coating on saw dust on everything. Even though Vince cleaned, it was still settling out of the air, so we have a dusty, dusty house. He was able to finish the floors in the kitchen, breakfast area and hallway. The formal dining, office and entryway still need to be completed. It was a much bigger project than he thought. Always is. And he has since discovered that he's going to have to refinish the kitchen/breakfast/hallway anyway. He used the wrong oil or something in the hand rub finish, and it isn't setting or something the way it's supposed to. Poor guy. Looks nice though.

We did many, many fun things while back on the west coast, but too much to post in one entry, so I'll have to get back into my blogging grove since there are at least a couple of posts worth. And lots of pictures.


Lena said...

Glad that you are back home safe and sound and blogging again.
Didn’t the kids throw up during your first drive to Texas?
Only you can make a dust covered van sound like something yummy to eat. You make me laugh.
I can’t wait for the pics. I miss SD soooo much. I am never able to hold back the tears when we leave.
Hope everyone is feeling better.

Jessica said...

Welcome back to TX. I'm sorry you all got sick! That is terrible. Glad to hear Vince got lots of flooring done. Can't wait to see photos!

CCT said...

Wow, sounds like a miserable journey home! Glad you're back online and blogging - was missing your posts ;)