Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wii Me

My Christmas gift from my mother this past year was a Wii. That was what was on my list, and lo that was what I got. Besides a beautiful quilt that she made for me, that made me cry like a baby, but that's just me. I had grand illusions of using the Wii to get some activity in my day. The Wii Fit is coming soon I'm sure, one thing at a time. And I've heard Dance Party Revolution is like a good aerobics class, so sign me up.

So after tracking down a Wii order at Costco, and finally getting it, today is the first day I was able to give it a spin. The problem is that we don't have a television. We watch DVDs and Netflix on our computer. Our screen is a decent size for a computer screen, so I'm not complaining, but the Wii and our computer didn't recognize each other, so that put a damper on our Wii fun. But then the brilliant man of the house figured something out, and I can now use my Wii, but it is run through some adaptor thingy, which slows down the response time between the remote and when it is actually recognized by the system. Frustrating, but usable.

What I really wanted to use for now was the bowling game. I played it once at a friend's house last year, and the next day my butt was so sore I figured it would be a good starting workout until we can get a television and the Fit or Dance Party. So today I started up the Wii and found that the delay didn't really impede the bowling game. Great. The only problem was that after one game I got a strong craving for a basket of fried cheese sticks and a pitcher of beer.

No comments: