Friday, March 10, 2006

A Little Sad

At our church we have a general reconciliation service twice a year. Once before Easter, and once before Christmas. At this mass, most of the priests in our area take turns at each other's parish to help hear reconciliation, or "confession". So there will be about eight or so priests at this mass, to help go through the crowds in a more reasonable about of time. Before this service, the "host" priest either takes out the other priests to dinner, or has them over for dinner to socialize before the reconciliation mass. For the past couple of years, Father Jim has hosted the dinner at his home, and I've been his caterer. Father Jim is known for appreciating the finer things of life, and really enjoys a good meal, so it's been a pleasure cooking for him. This morning I got a call from my friend Sue, who received an e-mail from the parish secretary, Elizabeth, this morning, asking her if she would be interested in cooking for the priests before the reconciliation mass this year. Elizabeth knows we're moving, and knows I've been turning down work, so I'm sure that is why she approached Sue. Sue called to ask what to expect, what I've been serving, etc, etc. It's just a little sad to work so hard to build a business, to gain a good reputation, and to have repeat customers, only to have to let it all go and move on. I'll miss those dinners for the priests. There is one priest, Father Beaugious, who's is retired but always shows up to help. And he is such a pleasure, so warm and friendly. I'm really going to miss him. And sometimes the priests conversations get pretty interesting. I felt like I had an inside tract on what was really going on sometimes. Sometimes it's just hard to let go.

No comments: