Thursday, April 03, 2008

This Is Not A Joke

I feel like my words are failing me. I'm finding hard to convey my thoughts appropriately, so I'll just plod along and ask that you forgive me for my lack of eloquence.

With all our current good news I feel compelled to share some very not good news. One of the blogs I read daily is Emily's of Not That You Asked. I don't know Emily personally, but I've been reading her blog for some time now. I enjoy reading her blog for many reasons. She's funny, entertaining and sensitive. Emily lives in Virginia, has a son about Francesca's age, and one of her husbands greatest joys is going out for a big old pile of steamed blue crab. I guess she just struck a cord with me.

The other day Emily posted about her friends, the Mandells. Their daughter, again about Francesca's age, is sick. Very, very sick. You can read about this sweet little child here. . . http://captainhambone.typepad.com/not_that_you_asked/2008/03/these-are-our-g.html Her post brought me to tears. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm a pregnant hormonal mess right now, but I cannot even fathom what her parents must be going through. They've dropped everything and put their lives on hold to be at their daughter's side. What else as parents would we all do?

I asked Vince if we could make a donation to helping them, and he gave me the green light. They are on my mind constantly, and I find myself making little prayers for them throughout the day. But still it's not enough. So I feel the need to help spread the word. I have a fear of getting cancer. Whether it be breast, ovarian, whatever. But for an 18 month old to be diagnosed with it is just wrong and unfair on so many levels. My heart aches for them.

While I enjoy blogging to catch up with what is going on with my far away friends, post some pictures of cookies and whatnot, how great would it be to use this tool for good. Not just some pass the time and enjoy myself good, but actually reach out and help someone good. Whether that help comes in the form of prayers, well wishes, good vibes, or donations. I'm sure every little bit is helpful.

No comments: