Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February Catch Up

It hasn't been too long since my last post, but I feel like I'm behind on what has been going on here.

Valentine's Day was nice and low key. The kids and I donned our Valentine aprons and made some cookies.

Only three kinds since I had just pitched the last of the uneaten Christmas cookies. We made Almond Sweethearts (which are macaroons), Chocolate Hearts (meringues), and heart shaped Rice Krispie Treats. I found these strawberry flavored pink marshmallows in the grocery store, so how could I resist? The Rice Krispie Treats were my favorite. I swear I could eat the entire tray, no exaggeration. For dinner I made rack of lamb, potatoes and asparagus. Vince requested this port and cherry sauce for the lamb, but since he took the bag of dried cherries to work to munch on, he got port and cranberry sauce. No one complained. For dessert I made a batch of hot fudge sauce and served it over Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream with whipped cream. Nice and simple. You just can't beat the classics.

The next day was Vince's 41st birthday. Some friends planned to meet us for sushi and we arranged for a babysitter. For once Sophia didn't mind being left behind because our sitter is our friend's daughter and the kids love her. For some reason I felt guilty about leaving the kids behind though, so I made them homemade deep dish pizza for dinner. One was spinach-feta and the other tomato-basil. They turned out so good. I've been wanted to try making it for a while now and finally got off my butt and did it. I'm so glad I did, it will be a regular item at our house now. Of course I had to taste them before leaving for the sushi restaurant, but my sushi appetite was not diminished in the least. There are many things I miss living in Texas, and sushi is one of them. But our friends recommended this place, and it was really good.

The new house is coming along. The rough plumbing has been put in place and last Saturday we picked the brick and stone for the exterior of the house.

Sophia has made getting her school work done in a timely manner her lenten sacrifice. It was pointed out to her that getting her school work done is not actually a sacrifice but something that is expected of her on a daily basis, but I'll take it where I can get it.

That's about it. I've decided I'd like a new digital camera. Ours is over five years old, doesn't zoom, and the flash washes out the color. Maybe the Easter bunny will be good to me.

1 comment:

Over Coffee said...

How exciting!!! Your beautiful home will be done in no time. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it is all done.