Sunday, February 05, 2006

Superbowl Sunday

O-kay, so this is not my typical Superbowl Sunday experience. I have been known to take advantage of low attendance at Disneyland during the Superbowl. Or even a chance to go to Old Town for margaritas and rolled tacos with minimal crowds. And if anyone asks me if I know the latest score, my reply is usually that I don't even know who's playing. Suffice it to say, I usually don't watch sports. Not football, not baseball, not basketball. And in general, I get very bugged by people who's lives revolve around the different sport seasons. Or let "their" team losing a game ruin their day. It is just a game afterall. There are much more important things in life. I did go through a Nascar phase about ten years ago, but really, that was just a good excuse to sit around, drink beer and wait for a car crash to happen. And I've been to a few Ice Hockey games back in my late teens. But that was back when I lived in the DC area and got to go see the Capitals play. But other than that, I really don't go in for sports. Unless you can count figure skating or gymnastics when the olympics are going on. But for some reason this year is different. I've been looking forward to it. Once I decided last week to actually sit down and watch it, I've had a strange sense of anticipation. We came home from Mass this morning, and I made a pot of chili, a big bowl of homemade salsa, guacamole and onion dip. I've got a fresh bag of tortilla chips, kettle cooked jalapeno chips, and a bag of Ruffles potato chips. I think I'm all set. The thing is is that I know the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing, because our friend from Pennslyvania is all excited that "his" team made it to the Superbowl. But I don't know who the other team is. Which makes me question my anticipation for this year's game. Is it all about the game itself, or is it all about food?

No comments: