Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Are We Really Moving?

The answer is yes, we really are. Vince was let go at work (again) back in December. That's five jobs in four years. I don't know what kind of company lets someone go two weeks before Christmas, but at least he doesn't have to work there anymore. He got a little bit of a severance, and has filed for unemployment. The job he left, Chemical Diversity, to go work at Structural Genomix said they'd always have a position for him. But they just laid off six of their chemists last week. This is one of the reasons Vince wants to get out of San Diego, and possibly stop working as a chemist. The pharmaceutical companies are just so unreliable, and there is no thought to the employee's welfare at all. So we're taking advantage of the fact that he is no longer spending a minimum of 60 hours a week in a lab somewhere, and he's busting his butt to get this house ready to put on the market. There is a lot to do. I also stopped catering for Titan regularly. I told them if they have a working lunch on occasion and need some meals to let me know, but it's too much bringing them lunch twice a week, taking care of three kids, and trying to get stuff done around here. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed.

We have a lead on some property in Helena. It's not exactly what we want, but it may be enough to get us up there. We'll be making another trip up there probably around the end of March to scope things out. My cousins husband, Chris, has offered Vince a job. Chris is a land surveyor. Something Vince knows nothing about, but he's a quick study, a hard worker and is looking for a change so you never know how things might work out.

It's all very scary, sad yet exciting at the same time. We really believe getting out of Southern California is what's best for our family. It's too loud, too crowded, too much traffic and too much crime. I know I'm glad I didn't grow up here, and really I just want the same for my kids.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Dawn I can't believe you guys are moving!! I know for us it's been the best thing we could've ever done. Some days I wish we never left but overall I wished we had left sooner. You'll be amazed at how much easier life gets when your not paying So. Cal prices:) Have you guys ever considered Arizona? It's still a close enough drive to San Diego without the expensive living costs:) Good luck and keep us posted!