Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I'm Still Full

Yesterday I had a very nice birthday. My day started out like any other day, catering, running errands, picking up Sophia from school. But my dear husband arrived home early from work, and sent me off for a birthday massage before taking me out for dinner. The massage was great, just what I needed. Seriously, I think I could have a massage every day. If I was rich, I would. Anyway, when I got home, my mom was already at our house. She watched the kids for us. And Sunday she gave me the newest Best of Gourmet book, new recipes to drool over. Thank you mom. We got in the car and headed down town. Vince surprised me with dinner at Bertrand's at Mr. A's. Best view in town. And the food isn't too shabby either. We arrived early and sat at the bar while I enjoyed at Ketel One Martini. I haven't had a good martini since giving birth. Since getting pregnant actually. It was so good I ordered a second with dinner. Soft shell crab with sweet corn risotto to start. Vince had seared rare ahi. Both very good. I need to get adventurous and give soft shell crab a try in my own kitchen. Vince had bouillabaisse for dinner. Also very yummy. While looking over the menu he was going to have the veal, because it was served with a morel cream sauce. Then he saw the veal with served with sweetbreads too, and backed out. My husband is very skittish about eating organs. Muscles are fine, but no organs for him. I thought he was being ridiculous, they are a delicacy afterall. So I ordered the veal. Now, I usually don't eat veal, just on principle. Yes, as a small child I was raised on veal cutlets by my grandma, but that was before I knew how veal was procured. And while I do love it, I just can't bring myself to enjoy it. But I decided to stop being such a puss and go for the gold. And it was very good. The veal, the sweetbreads, the morel cream sauce. Actually, I think the morel cream sauce was the best part. Oh, the sauce and the truffeled spatzle. Can't forgot the truffeled spatzle. It was all so good I was too full for dessert. Of course the fact that it looked like I actually licked my plate- not a morsel was left, added to my fullness I'm sure. And even though it was my birthday, I passed on dessert. But they brought out a plate with "Happy Birthday" written in chocolate on it, and piled with little miniature cookies and desserts. A chocolate cup filled with cream and a blackberry, and mini peanut butter mousse tart, a couple mini snickerdoodles, and macaroon, and a almond something or another. And the best . . . a divinity type thingy filled with hazelnuts and flavored of honey. Very yummy. And even though I was very full, I managed to try each kind. Pig that I am. So yesterday was a very happy birthday. And Saturday I'm being sent to the day spa for a few hours. The gifts just keep on giving.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday (late)! Sounds like you had a great night out. Erik also hit the "dark side of 30" on Sunday. He had to work though, so didn't get the best birthday celebration in the world. Maybe next year...